- Careers in Student Affairs
- Academic Calendar
- CAS Compliance
- Conference Information
- Program Content
- Practicum/Internship Manual, Forms and Instructions
- Practicum/Internship On-Site Supervisors
- Department Policies
- Scenes from the Student Affairs Classes
- Student Affairs Graduate Association (SAGA)
The Master of Arts in Education degree in Student Affairs is designed to prepare students to obtain entry and mid-level student affairs professional positions. Through a theory-based yet applications-oriented program, students gain necessary skills and competencies to succeed in a variety of student affairs units and postsecondary settings. The Counseling and Student Affairs faculty comprised of academics and practitioners cultivate active partnerships with student affairs professionals to provide a living learning laboratory for student professional development. Program content covers three broad areas: theoretical foundations, professional practice, and administrative effectiveness. Individual students are also provided with opportunities to focus on specific content areas which may be of particular interest.
Aligned with the institutional and departmental mission the Student Affairs program is committed to:
- Foster student professional development through networking, scholarly writing, research, presentation opportunities, and the Student Affairs Graduate Association.
- Provide the university and community with in-service training, professional development, research, and consultation in the area of student affairs/student development.
- Deliver highly interactive application based courses.
- Focus on diversity and multicultural competencies.
- Facilitate meaningful supervised practicum and internship experiences.
Our Departmental Mission
The Department of Counseling and Student Affairs primarily serves students coming from Kentucky, Tennessee and Indiana, particularly those residing within a 125 mile radius of Bowling Green, Kentucky. The Department provides educational, research and service opportunities in the fields of counseling and student affairs to a culturally diverse population. The counseling and student affairs programs meet appropriate state and national standards, enabling graduates to seek credentials to enter counseling and student affairs professions as appropriate. The Department of Counseling and Student Affairs faculty prioritizes the practical work of counseling and student affairs work, expecting students to learn how to apply theory, knowledge, skills and research in diverse cultural and work settings.
Our Departmental Goals
Counseling and Student Affairs Programs will attain or maintain national accreditation from the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP), and/or national certification from the Council for the Advancement of Standards in Higher Education (CAS). Counseling and Student Affairs Programs will provide relevant, practice-oriented programs designed to build an applied, theoretical knowledge base while assisting students in the development of professional/clinical competence in a culturally diverse society. Students will attain the knowledge and skills necessary to seek appropriate state or national credentialing in their chosen profession. Academic and clinical training will prepare graduates with the skills desired by prospective employers.
- View the program and campus orientation guide for an introduction to the department, campus, and community.
- WKU Graduate Students Win National Case Study Competition
- Pictures from SAGA Graduation Celebration 2010
- Campus Mental Health and Violence Presentation (8/8/16)
Back To The Top
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,