New WKU students are assigned a WKU ID number, NetID and WKU Email. Each of these items are easily found, and activated. Your WKU ID number is a nine digit 800 number (800-xx-xxxx). This number is used by offices such as Financial Aid, Academic Advising and the Office of Distance Learning to access your student information and assist you along the way. Your NetID is what you will use to sign into MyWKU, Blackboard and WKU Email. Your NetID is made up of the first three consonants of your first name + 5 digits, for example jhn12345. Please make note of each of these, as you will use them throughout your time at WKU.
New students must also activate their WKU accounts. WKU accounts include TopNet, which is where you will register for your courses, check your financial aid status, view your grades, class schedule, and WKU Email. Your WKU email (email@example.com) will be listed as your primary email address at WKU. Please check it daily - this is where your professors, adviser and other university personnel will contact you.
Now that you're officially a Hilltopper, you're ready to set up your accounts and activate your email. Just follow the steps below, in the order listed, so you'll be ready for the first day of classes.
- Look up your WKU Student ID
- You can do this by gong to http://topnet.wku.edu> – then click on “What is my WKU ID?” from the menu on the right side of your screen. You’ll want to hang on to this, because you’ll use it again and again throughout your time here at WKU.
- Login to TopNet
- TopNet is WKU’s student registration and information system, by logging in, you are setting up your TopNet account. Go to http://topnet.wku.edu and login. To login, you will use your 800 number (WKU ID number), with no dashes, as your WKU ID, and the last 6 digits of your Social Security Number as your PIN. The first time you login, you will be prompted to change your PIN to something you can easily remember. In TopNet you will be able to search and register for your courses, view Financial Aid information and accept Financial Aid awards.
- Contact/Meet with your Advisor:
- Once you have been admitted, you will be assigned an advisor based on your program of study. You will need to work with your advisor to select your courses – if you explain to your advisor that you’re a distance student, he/she will work with you over the phone or by email. If you need assistance reaching your advisor, please contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will provide you with their contact information.
- Register for your courses:
- Your advisor may register you, or he/she may provide you with a list of courses that you can register for your first semester at WKU. If you need to register for courses yourself, the Office of Distance Learning is happy to help with this process. To register, you will take the approved list from your advisor, login to TopNet (as instructed in #2), click on the “Student Services” tab at the top of the page, then select “Registration,” then “Register/Add/Drop Classes,” and select the term for which you would like to register. You may register using the 5 digit CRN of the courses you wish to take or you may search for courses to add
- Look up your Net ID/Set your Password:
- Within 48 hours of registration, you will be assigned a NetID. Your NetID will allow you to have single sign-on access for WKU Email, TopNet, Blackboard and more through MyWKU. Your WKU email is particularly important, as it serves as the primary contact for your professors. To begin, go to my.wku.edu, click on “Forgot NetID?" or "Forgot Password?” Then, follow the instructions. Step 1 will allow you to retrieve your NetID, Step 2 will allow you to set your password, and Step 3 will allow you to sign in to MyWKU. For additional information visit http://www.wku.edu/it/accounts/netid
- Sign into MyWKU:
- Go to my.wku.edu and login using your NetID and WKU Email Password. Save MyWKU to your favorites, so you can easily access everything you need (Blackboard, Topnet, Email, WKU News and Announcements) with one convenient sign-on.
- Set up your WKU Email:
- Once you’ve logged into MyWKU, you will see links to Blackboard, TopNet, Email – Topper Mail, and more on the right. To set up your email account, click on Email - Topper Mail, then First-time User, and follow the instructions provided. You may also view a video tutorial and frequently asked questions at http://www.wku.edu/it/accounts/toppermail.
For additional assistance contact the WKU Help Desk by calling 270-745-7000 or
visiting http://www.wku.edu/it/ to submit an online help request or participate in a live chat session.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,