- ElEd Home
- Undergraduate Programs
- Graduate Programs
- Admission to Teacher Education
- Part-Time Faculty
- Contact Us
Education Specialist Degree
This post-master’s degree provides opportunity for the advanced graduate student to improve the foundations and competencies for teaching. The program may also be structured to meet Rank I salary requirements under Kentucky’s minimum foundation program of education. The following emphases or specializations are available to the elementary education major: literacy, general curriculum, English as a second language, and instruction, and gifted education. The EdS in Elementary Education requires 30 hours beyond a master’s degree.
In addition to meeting the admission requirements of Graduate Studies, applicants must meet the following departmental requirements:
- Three years of teaching experience at the appropriate level. Up to two years of experience may be waived in favor of equivalent experience; and
- Four letters of recommendation: Two from graduate faculty members and two from professional associates in administrative and/or supervisory roles.
A. Professional Education Component – 9 hours: EDU 601, ELED 603, EDU 604, EDU 698
B. Related Professional Education Courses – 9 hours: SPED 516*, ELED 699,
plus 3-6 hours of advisor approved, professional education graduate-level
*An approved elective may be substituted if a Special Education course
is on the student’s transcript.
C. Related Non-Professional Education Courses – 12 hours:
Twelve hours of advisor approved graduate level, subject-related course work.
- There is a limit of 6 hours workshop and independent study credit that can be used on a Specialist Degree program. Only three of those 6 hours can be one credit hour courses. A total of 24 hours non-professional education courses are required for MAE and the Specialist Degree combined.
- By Graduate Council policy all requirements for this program must be completed within six years from the date the first course was taken.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,