WKU Chinese Flagship Application
Priority Deadline: January 15, 2014
Important Information regarding the Application
The following application is divided into two parts. The first part is short-answer biographical information, and the second part is short essay questions 250-350 words a piece.This application will not time out as long as your browser window remains open; however, you will not be able to save your responses and complete the application in different sessions. We recommend that you consider the following essay questions and prepare your responses prior to beginning the application. Once you submit the application, it will automatically be sent via email to the Chinese Language Flagship Coordinator.
If you have any difficulty with the application process, please feel free to contact Melinda Edgerton, Coordinator of the Chinese Language Flagship program, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions to follow:
- Briefly describe your interest in the Chinese Language Flagship.
- How do you imagine your participation in the Chinese Language Flagship will impact your academic/career goals? (250-350 words)
- The Chinese Language Flagship program requires roughly 20 hours/week of class, drills, individual tutoring sessions, and study time. Please describe an experience you have had where you worked toward mastering something (i.e. Language, sport, musical instrument, etc), and how you remained motivated in the face of challenges (150-250 words)
- Participation in the Chinese Language Flagship includes funded opportunities for travel to China. In addition to the Capstone Year at Nanjing University, students are strongly encouraged to spend time each summer of their undergraduate career in China or in a US-based intensive Chinese program. Flagship or other scholarship resources will make these opportunities possible, and we will assist you in the scholarship process. Outside of financial considerations, how do you feel about dedicating significant periods of time during your breaks to continuing your Chinese language development? (150-250 words)
- Do you have any personal conflicts that would make a summer program abroad difficult? If yes, please explain. (short answer)
- Briefly describe your international travel experience (if applicable), including countries visited, for how long, and for what purpose you were there: (short answer, up to 200 words)
- How did you hear about the Chinese Language Flagship? (short answer)
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,