Student-owned social media business taking off
|Author: Jackson French, WKU Herald|
Date: Tuesday, March 25th, 2014
Hangout Creative, a company owned by two WKU graduates currently stationed in lnnoplexx, the university's Student Business Accelerator, will soon be moving to a new location.
Blake Blackburn, a 2012 WKU graduate, said Hangout Creative was founded in the summer of 2012 and will be moving from lnnoplexx to its own office building sometime in February. He said he and his business partner, 2011 WKU graduate Joel Nivens, are the company's sole employees and take on all necessary responsibilities. "I pretty much wear every hat," Blackburn said. "I’m the engineer, networker; l do it all."
Blackburn said Hangout Creative has a different approach than other marketing companies that sell social media, explaining that other companies emphasize, "likes, comments and shares" on social media websites. Hangout Creative focuses more on the sales side of the business.
"I feel that small business owners really need our product because these new avenues of marketing, they're underutilized or there's not a lot of knowhow;" Blackburn said. ''I wanted to be the business that understands that and gives small business owners the ability to be competitive in an expensive marketing field"
Hangout Creative has over 25 clients from Kentucky, southern Illinois, Indiana and Tennessee, including Nat's Outdoor Sports, tl1e Medical Institute of Kentucky, Overtime Sports Bar and Grill and Hilligan's.
Doug Rohrer, associate vice president of Research and Development, said the Student Business Accelerator is intended to help students who want to start their own companies.
"We give them some help getting started and they don't pay rent," he said. "That's where Hangout Creative actually got started, as a student company that has shared space in a room called the lnnoplexx."
Jeff Hook, director of the Small Business Accelerator said lnnoplexx's goal is to "foster and support student entrepreneurship.'' He said students can be a part of lnnoplexx even after graduation.
"They (Hangout Creative) are engaged in the same way," Hook said. "I would say they’re more independent in that they're out in the marketplace, they're getting customers, and they’re spending more time executing their business model than discussing their business model with us internally." Nivens said Hangout Creative will remain a part of Innoplexx despite the change in location.
"We kind of feel like we're a part of them now;" he said. "And I don't think we'll ever really leave that even though we've both graduated"
He said an incentive to stay connected to lnnoplexx was the assistance the program provides.
"We get guidance and help from Jeff and from Doug and all those guys over there," he said. "They've all done this. They all know what the next step is."
Nivens said Hangout Creative will soon be pursuing a venture in Gulf Shores and is also looking to expand the company's operations to Nashville.
"We're kind of just looking to grow now," he said. ''That's our big next is just growing into a bigger company."
I feel that small business owners really need our product because these new avenues of marketing, they're underutilized or there's not a lot of knowhow:'
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
Badjie, Blommel Receive Best in Show Distinctions
Capstone Project Earns Parthenon Third Year in a Row
The Gatton Academy of Mathematics and Science in Kentucky has been named to The Washington Postís list of top-performing schools with elite students for the seventh consecutive year.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,