2014 WKU Steel Bridge team finishes 34th overall in nation
|Date: Tuesday, June 3rd, 2014||Return|
Approximately 3,000 civil engineering students from across the nation built 215 steel bridges and competed in regional competitions in hopes of qualifying for the national event. The WKU Steel Bridge team earned a spot in national competition by finishing third in behind Youngstown State University and the University of Akron in April’s regional competition.
At the National Steel Bridge Competition, WKU finished 34th overall, up from the team’s 37th-place finish in 2013, and finished ahead of Akron, which placed 40th.
WKU’s steel bridge finished 19th for construction economy, which is a measure of the speed of construction and the number of builders used to construct the bridge, and finished 20th and 21st in the nation for construction speed and lightness, respectively.
“The students worked hard and put a valiant effort in during the weeks leading up to the regional and national competitions, and this made all the difference,” said Dr. Shane Palmquist, Steel Bridge team advisor.
Steel Bridge team members include: co-captains Jacob Martin of Shelbyville and John Jacoby of Paris; Carson Joyce and Chris Sivley, both of Hopkinsville; Nicholas Miller of Bowling Green; Sean Danehy of Libertyville, Ill.; Matt Groves and Dalton Hankins, both of Greenville; and Noufissa Chbihi of North Haven, Conn.
The 2015 National Steel Bridge Competition will be held at the University of Missouri-Kansas City.
Contact: Engineering Department, (270) 745-2461.
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
Awards for On-Site Writing Competition, Yearbook Excellence Announced at Oct. 24 Event
WKU dance professor Eric Rivera will have his ballet produced by Inaside Dance in Chicago.
10/26 to 10/31
The WKU Theatre & Dance department presents the Childrenís Theatre show "Lily Plants a Garden" Oct. 31-Nov. 2
Twenty-five travelers have returned home after a ten-day study abroad trip to Spain with Dr. Julia Roberts, Dr. Richard Roberts, and Dr. Tracy Inman of The Center for Gifted Studies at WKU.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,