- Declaring a Major
- Major Requirements
- Course Descriptions
- Recommended Course Sequence
- Psychology Minor
- Research Opportunities
B.A. in Psychology
For Catalog Year 2014-15 and forward
To see the Psychology major requirements for previous catalog years select this link. Click this link for a side-by-side comparison (pdf) checklist of the old General (760) and new majors. For a side-by-side comparison (pdf) of the old Extended (519) and new majors select this link. (To change to the new major, contact your advisor).
Admission criteria for the B.A. in Psychology (reference number 760) are
- a minimum composite ACT of 20 (or equivalent SAT) OR
- minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 after 30 plus hours.
The general major in psychology (B.A.) requires a minimum of 31 semester hours and leads to a bachelor of arts degree. A minor or second major is required. At least half of the program must be in upper division courses (numbered 300 or above). This major has 13 hours required in core courses and 3 Categories with 1 course required in each. The major also requires 9 hours from electives, at least 6 in courses numbered 300 or above in PSY or PSYS.
Effective in Fall 2014 there will be a new prefix and in Spring 2015 some new numbers for some of the courses in the major. They appear in the list below in parentheses like this: PSY or PSYS 301(313). In the example PSYS will be a new prefix and 313 is the new number.
MATH 183 is recommended or other Math course (excluding MATH 109) or ACT score that satisfies the mathematics General Education requirement.
Required courses (13 hours):
- PSY or PSYS 100 Introduction to Psychology (Grade of C or better)
- PSY or PSYS 210 Research Methods in Psychology
- PSY or PSYS 211 Research Methods in Psychology Laboratory (1 cr.)
- PSY or PSYS 301(313) Statistics in Psychology
- PSY or PSYS 495(481) History and Systems of Psychology
Foundations of Behavior (3 credit hours)
- PSY or PSYS 410(331) Psychology of Learning
- PSY 412 Psychology of Motivation & Emotion
- PSY 422 Adolescent Psychology
- PSY 436 Applied Cognitive Psychology
- PSYS 405(333) Cognitive Psychology
- PSYS 411(363) Psychology of Sensation & Perception
- PSYS 450 Psychology of Personality
Group Behavior (3 credit hours)
- PSY or PSYS 350 Social Psychology
- PSY 355 Cross-Cultural Psychology
- PSY 371 The Psychology of Sales Behavior
- PSY 470 Psychology & Law
- PSYS 370 Industrial/Organizational Psychology
Behavioral Change (3 credit hours)
- PSY 340 Sport Psychology
- PSY or PSYS 440 Abnormal Psychology
- PSY 442 Beginning Skills in Psychological Interviewing
- PSY 443 Behavior Modification
- PSY 455(445) Introduction to Clinical Practice of Psychology
Electives (9 credit hours):
- At least 6 hours of courses numbered 300 or above in PSY or PSYS.
- Courses selected for other requirements only count once toward the major.
- PSY 175 (University Experience) and PSY 310 (Educational Psychology) DO NOT count towards the elective requirements for this major.
- If choosing either PSY 421 (Psychology of Early Adolescence) or PSY 422 (Adolescent Psychology) be aware that only one of the two will count toward this major.
- Consult with your advisor about courses that will be most beneficial to your career goals.
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,