Skip to main content
Skip to main content

Office of the Registrar


Academic, Final Exam


Undergraduate, Graduate, Past


Graduates, Undergraduates, Guests, Faculty


Notification of Rights, Guidelines, Students, Parents,


iCAPApplication, Degree Certification

Registration Guide

Fall, Winter and Spring,Summer


Schedule of Classes

Contact Us:
Office of the Registrar
Potter Hall, Room 216
(270) 745-3351 or 3352



Academic Renewal
What is Academic Renewal?
Academic renewal prevents the voided coursework from counting toward graduation and the computation of the grade point average; however, the voided coursework will remain a part of the transcript. Qualified undergraduate students must not have attended any accredited college or university for at least two previous years and must have a cumulative grade point average, since readmission, of at least 2.0 (with no grade below "D"), computed at the end of the term in which the student completes a minimum of 12 semester hours of courses numbered 100 or above.

The student must petition the Registrar in writing to request academic renewal, indicating whether one semester or all previous coursework is to be voided. No student may declare academic renewal more than once.
Attendance Policy
What is the university class attendance policy?
Registration in a course obligates the student to be regular and punctual in class attendance. Faculty may establish specific requirement for attendance, and those requirements are usually specified on the course syllabus. Students who cease attending class are expected to report to the Office of the Registrar to initiate withdrawal procedures. Withdrawal deadlines are published each semester in the Registration Guide.
Auditing a Course
How long do I have to change a class from credit to audit?
You can sign up to audit a class without special permission prior to the first day of the term. After that time, the instructor must grant permission for you to audit a class by signing the course audit form. You should obtain this form in the Office of the Registrar, complete the form, obtain the instructor’s signature, and return the form to the Office of the Registrar prior to the deadline for changing from credit to audit, printed in the Academic Calendar in the Registration Guide.
Cancelled Courses
The University has cancelled a course in which I am enrolled. Do I have to drop the course?
You do not need to drop the course. Once the course is officially cancelled in the student information system, the Office of the Registrar will drop the course from your schedule. If you desire to replace this course, you should process the registration prior to the deadline printed in the Academic Calendar in the Registration Guide.
Catalog Distribution
How do I receive an undergraduate catalog?
The undergraduate catalog is available on-line at
Catalog Term/Year
What is my catalog term/year?
A student's catalog term/year is based on when the student entered Western Kentucky University as a degree-seeking student. An iCAP student should follow the undergraduate catalog that coincides with his/her catalog term/year.
Can my catalog term/year be changed?
Students should consult an advisor before changing a catalog term/year. Changing a catalog term/year will affect all degree requirements (major, minor, and general education).
Change in Major
How do I change my major?
Information regarding changing your major may be found at
Credit Hour Limits
How many semester hours can I take in a semester?
Spring, Fall—Undergraduate students may register for 19 hours without special permission. To register for 20-21 semester hours, you must have a 3.3 g.p.a. To register for more than 21 semester hours, you must appeal to do so. See Marleen Murphy in the Office of the Registrar.
Winter—A student is permitted to enroll in a maximum of four semester hours.
Summer—A maximum of 4 semester hours in May, June I, June II and July I sessions (3-week courses), a maximum of 6 semester hours in May, June I, June II, July I and II sessions (4,5 or 6-week courses), a maximum of 6 semester hours in May, June I and June II sessions (7 or 8-week courses). Overall summer maximum -- 15 semester hours.
Degree Certification
How do I know if I have met the degree requirements to graduate?
Undergraduate students will use iCAP ( iCAP reports are accessed through TopNet. After filing an Application for Graduation, your iCAP report will be audited by the dean's office of your first major the semester prior to your graduation date. The Office of the Registrar will review your iCAP the semester in which you graduate. You will be notified via your WKU email of deficiencies. Students who are seeking a second baccalaureate degree or who entered WKU prior to 1990 are required to file a degree program.
When can I expect to receive my diploma?
Diplomas are mailed approximately four to six weeks following commencement.
I graduated but have not yet received my diploma. What could be the problem?
The diploma is mailed to the address you provided on the Application for Graduation unless you subsequently updated the address in the Office of the Registrar or on TopNet. Diplomas are not issued if the student has outstanding obligations such as unpaid accounts, parking fines, unreturned books to the library, etc. Contact the Office of the Registrar at (270) 745-5411 to check on the status of your diploma.
Directory Information
What is student directory information?
"Student directory information" includes the student's name, address, e-mail address, telephone listing, date and place of birth, major field of study, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, enrollment status (including full-time, part-time, not enrolled, withdrawn and date of withdrawal), degree and awards received and the most recent previous education agency or institution attended by the student.
How can I restrict my directory information?
When you want any part of the directory information to remain confidential, you must complete an official request form within the first five days of class. You can obtain the form in the Office of the Registrar or access the form online at
Enrollment Verification
How do I obtain enrollment verification?
To gain access to the free Student Self-Service site for enrollment verification, go to TopNet. Login and select Student Records, then Enrollment Verification/National Student Clearinghouse. Enter the required information. Click Login. Follow directions. When finished, Logoff.
I have an insurance form that must be signed by a campus official. Where do I go?
Take your form to the Office of the Registrar, 217 Potter Hall. The form will be completed while you wait.
Grade Changes
How can I find out if a grade change was done?
After the instructor initiates the grade change, it is submitted to the department head for approval, and then submitted to the Office of the Registrar for processing. You may also review your transcript on TopNet.
How do I access my final grades?
If you need an Official Grade Report, you may obtain one through TopNet by following the steps below. The date final grades and cumulative grade point average will be available on TopNet will be printed in the Registration Guide each term. To access your final grades, follow the steps below:
 Access TopNet:
  1. Enter User ID and PIN. Login 
  2. Select Student Services, then Student Records.
  3. Select Final Grades.
  4. Enter the desired term.
  5. If an official report is needed, click Obtain Official Grade Report.
What is iCAP?
iCap is an acronym for Interactive Curriculum and Academic Progress. Students who entered the 2005 fall semester and thereafter can obtain personalized, interactive audits displaying progress toward a selected degree. An audit shows all the requirements needed to fulfill a major, minor or concentration and displays the transfer and WKU courses that have been used to satisfy those requirements. Students can run "What-If" audits to compare their coursework against other majors.
How do I access my iCAP report?
 To access your iCAP report, log in to TopNet. Under Student Services, select iCAP. If you are eligible to run an audit, you will be prompted to follow the on screen instructions. For more information on iCAP or to view a tutorial, go to Registrar's Office iCAP site.
Late Registration Fee
Why am I charged a late registration fee?
Students are strongly encouraged to register prior to the first day of the term. Ample opportunity is provided for registration prior to the opening of the term. Students who are unable to register in advance are given an opportunity to register during the first six days of the term, but will be assessed a late registration penalty of $50. Refer to deadlines in the Registration Guide.
Name Changes
How do I change my name on my student records?
You must complete a “Student Identification Change” form. You may pick up the form in the Office of the Registrar, Potter Hall 228. You may also access the form online at WKU Registrar Forms for Students. The form may be mailed or faxed to us for processing. You must be currently enrolled, and we will need a copy of your new Social Security card showing the new name.
Will the processing of a name change also change my name on my e-mail account or Blackboard account?
No. Once your name has been changed through the Office of the Registrar, you will need to contact IT Helpdesk at (270) 745-7000 to update your e-mail account and/or your Blackboard account.
Priority Registration
If I do not register on my scheduled date, when can I register?
You may register without penalty any time after your scheduled date up through the day prior to the first day of the term. There may, however, be periods of time when TopNet is down for maintenance.
 Do I have to see my advisor before I register?
All undergraduate degree-seeking students are required to see an advisor until 90 hours are earned and an Application for Graduation has been filed in the Office of the Registrar. After you have been advised, the advisor will release your advising hold. Provided you have no other obligations with the university, you will be permitted to register on your scheduled date. All associate degree-seeking students must see an advisor unless they have earned at least 48 hours and have filed an Application for Graduation in the Office of the Registrar.
Registration Holds
If I have an obligation (hold) with the University that cannot be cleared prior to my registration date, what do I do?
All obligations with the University that prevent registration should be cleared prior to your registration for classes. If you believe your situation justifies an exception, you should contact the area that initiated the obligation and explain your situation. Any alternative arrangement should be made with the obligating office.
Repeated Courses
How will I know when my repeat has been processed?
Your first attempt is indicated as excluded if an "E" is in the "R" column of your transcript. You may view this on your student transcript by going to TopNet. Go to TopNet, login and view Student Services, Student Records, Unofficial Transcript.
Restricted Courses
TopNet will not let me register for a course I need. It tells me the course is restricted. What do I do?
Some courses have been restricted by the offering department for specific reasons. For registration in one of these courses, you should contact the academic department offering the course. Explain your need for the course. If your need is deemed appropriate for admission to the class, a restriction override will be placed in the registration system for you. You should then be permitted to register via TopNet.
Schedule Change Fee
When am I charged a fee for changing my registration schedule?
You are charged a schedule change fee of $50 per class to withdraw from a course after the drop period for that term (full or bi-term). If you are granted a schedule exception appeal to add a course, you will also be charged this $50 fee.
If my original registration for the term takes place after the sixth class day, am I charged both a late registration fee of $50 and a schedule change fee of $50 per class to register?
If you register after the deadline for adding a course, a schedule exception appeal must be approved by the instructor and department head and reviewed by the Dean. If approved, you will be charged only the late registration fee of $50. After your original registration date, any changes made will be subject to the $50 schedule change fee.
I do not believe I should have to pay the schedule change fee. How do I appeal the charge?
The Tuition/Schedule Change Fee Appeal Committee will review your schedule change and determine if the fee assessed to you is appropriate. You should obtain the form and directions for submitting an appeal to this Committee from the Office of the Registrar, second floor, Potter Hall. Be sure to include all documented information with your appeal.
Schedule Changes
When can I make schedule changes to my registration?
Schedule changes for full-semester courses (drops or adds) can be made at any time through the first six days of the term. Drops made during this time will not be reflected on your academic record. Course withdrawals after the sixth class day will be recorded with a grade of “W” and will be reflected on your academic record. Refer to the Academic Calendar in the Registration Guide for the deadlines to add, drop, or withdraw from a full semester course. Schedule changes for bi-term courses can be made at any time through the first three days of the bi-term. Drops made during this time will not be reflected on your academic record. Course withdrawals after the third class day will be recorded with a grade of “W” and will be reflected on your academic record. Refer to the Academic Calendar in the Registration Guide for the deadlines to add, drop, or withdraw from a bi-term course.
TopNet PIN
How do I change my PIN?
Go to TopNet. Select TopNet Login. Enter your WKU ID and PIN or NetID and password.  Click Login. From the Main Menu, select Personal Information. Select Change your PIN. Enter Old PIN, Enter New PIN; Re-enter New PIN. Click Change PIN.
How do I create my TopNet PIN? 
Go to TopNet. Select TopNet Login from the menu. Follow instructions for a first-time user. Enter your full student ID. Tab down and enter the last six digits of your ID. Click Login. On the next page re-enter the last six digits of your ID (TopNet will tell you your PIN has expired) and tab down to the next box. Enter a six digit number that you can remember. Keep this PIN confidential.
I have forgotten my PIN. How do I access this information so that I can use TopNet?
Follow the directions on the TopNet home page under Forgot My PIN. A new PIN will be assigned for you and you can then change the PIN to a number more familiar to you.
How can I find TopNet?
TopNet is located at
Can WKU fax my transcript?
Faxed transcripts are not official; therefore, we do not fax them.
How can I obtain my official transcript? 
Students may request an official transcript through TopNet. Information on how to obtain official transcripts, as well as the online form, may be found on the Registrar’s web site by clicking here: WKU Transcripts.
How long does it take to receive my transcript?
Normally, transcripts will be mailed from our office within two working days of receiving the request.
I have taken classes at another college. Have you received my transcript?
You may check on TopNet to see if the credits are on your record. If the credits are not showing, check with the other college to verify the official transcript was mailed and to what department it was sent. Please allow ample time for mailing and processing. If you have further questions, please contact the Office of the Registrar at 270-745-3351.
How can I view my unofficial transcript? 
Unofficial transcripts are available online for students enrolled from the Summer of 1990 until present. This information can be found on the Registrar’s web site by clicking here: Unofficial Transcripts.
Transfer Credit Equivalency
I plan to take a course this summer at another college. How will the course transfer to WKU?
Transfer equvalencies are available at:, then click View Transfer Credit Equivalencies. If you do not find your school, you may contact the Office of the Registrar for instructions.
Tuition Refund Appeal
Due to extenuating circumstance, I had to withdraw from a course, making a difference in my enrollment status. How do I appeal for a refund in tuition?
The Tuition/Schedule Change Fee Appeal Committee will review your change in enrollment status to determine if a refund is appropriate. You should obtain the form and directions for submitting an appeal to this Committee from the Billings and Receivables Office, second floor, Potter Hall. Be sure to include all documented information with your appeal.
Visiting Student
I am a student at WKU but I want to take courses this summer closer to my home. I need a visiting student letter verifying that I am in good standing at WKU. How do I request this document?
If the course(s) you plan to take applies toward general education and you are in good academic standing, you should contact the Office of the Registrar, 2nd floor Potter Hall or 270-745-3351. In addition, if the course(s) you plan to take applies toward your major/minor, you need to receive written confirmation from the academic department of your major/minor that the course(s) will apply toward your graduation requirements. A letter of good standing can then be prepared for you by the Office of the Registrar. If you are on academic probation, you will need to contact the Academic Advisement and Retention Center (AARC) for the visiting student letter.
Withdrawal from a Course
How do I withdraw from a course?
To withdraw from a course, you should adhere to the withdrawal dates printed in the Registration Guide for the current term. You may process your withdrawal by going to
If it is past the deadline and I have a need to withdraw, what procedure do I follow?
Students are expected to adhere to the withdrawal deadlines. If you believe your situation would justify an exception to the withdrawal policy, you should obtain a schedule exception appeal form from the academic department offering the course and process this form according to the directions on the form.
Withdrawal from the University
How does withdrawal from the university affect my academic record?
If you withdraw after the “W” period begins and prior to the deadline, a grade of “W” will be recorded on your academic record. The “W” grade will not be reflected in your overall grade point average. If you find a need to withdraw after the deadline and obtain the permission to do so from the instructor, department head and dean, you will be given a grade of “W” or “F”. If an “F” grade is recorded, this grade will be reflected in your cumulative grade point average.

Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
download excel.

Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
download word.

Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
download powerpoint.

Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,
download quicktime.

 Last Modified 9/12/16