Facebook Pixel WKU Passport Services FAQ | Western Kentucky University Skip to main content

WKU Passport Services FAQ

Q: How much does a passport cost?
A: Current passport fees can be found here. The passport application acceptance facility at WKU also offers passport photos for $10.

Q: Where are you located?
A: We are located in room 0069 of Downing Student Union.

Q: What are your hours of operation?
A: We accept applications Monday through Friday, from 8:30 a.m. until 3:30 p.m., by appointment. We are closed on weekends, and whenever the WKU campus is closed due to a university holiday or inclement weather.

Q: Why do I need to make an appointment?
A: We strongly encourage appointments for both passport applications and photos, scheduling an appointment sets aside that period of time for you to apply without standing in line or feeling rushed.

Q: Do you accept credit or debit cards?
A: No. All fees payable to the Department of State must be paid by check or money order. All fees to WKU (execution fees and photo fees) must be paid by check, money order, or cash. These fees are not refundable, but if your photos are rejected, we will take them again at no charge. Just bring in the rejected photos.

Q:Where can I obtain a certified copy of my Birth Certificate?

A: If you need to order a certified copy of your Birth Certificate, you can visit http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w.htm .

Q: I am visiting another country and need a visa. Can you help me with that?
A: Visas are travel documents issued by individual governments. As such, we are unable assist you with the visa application process. You will need to contact the nearest embassy or consulate of the country you wish to visit.

Q: What is a passport card?
A: The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air.

Q: Do I need the passport book or the passport card?
A: The short answer - if you're flying anywhere, you need the book. If you're taking a cruise, check with your cruise line to see what sort of documentation will be needed at the various ports of call. If you still have questions, please call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778. 

Q: Why was my passport application declined?
A: Unfortunately, the passport application acceptance facility here at WKU does not issue passports, does not decide who does and does not get a passport, and is unable to inquire about the status of an application on your behalf. If your application was declined, the Department of State will contact you (usually by letter) with instructions on how to submit any additional documentation they may require. It is important that you follow those instructions. 

Q: Do I need to expedite my application?
A: That is your decision. We recommend taking a look at the 
current processing times and using your best judgment.

If your question wasn't answered here, the 
Department of State also has an FAQ page

Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.

 Last Modified 12/10/18