Student Support Services is one of the original three TRiO programs, along with Educational Talent Search and Upward Bound. SSS was first funded at WKU in 1980. The program serves 225 participants annually. Since the program's first funding year, over 1000 program participants have earned degrees. Undergraduates with academic potential and motivation who also meet Federal income and first generation guidelines are eligible.
- Academic Advising: Experienced counselors help develop course schedules, assist with long range planning, and make sure General Education Requirements are met.
- Personal Counseling: Counselors help students with transition issues, aid in setting realistic goals, and consult on personal issues.
- Tutoring: Peer tutors assist with many entry-level general education classes. They also teach academic skills as needed. There is no cost to students.
- Priority Registration: SSS participants register ahead of others of their grade level. This enables them to get the classes they want at the times they need. Regular participation is required.
- Scholarships: Five $400 scholarships are awarded annually to outstanding SSS participants.
- Grant Money: SSS students who receive Pell Grants may be eligible for additional grant money during their first two years.
- University Experience (UE 175): Freshman participants take an SSS-only section of this class, taught by an SSS counselor.
- Disability Services: In coordination with the campus Student Disability Services, qualified students may also benefit by SSS participation.
In Person:Jones Jaggers Hall, Room 132 WKU Main Campus 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday
By Phone or Fax:270-745-4308 270-745-6850 (fax)
By Mail:Student Support Services Western Kentucky University 1906 College Heights Blvd., Box 11098 Bowling Green, KY 42101-1098
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,