Alternate Route to Teacher Certification
Master of Arts in Teaching Program (MAT)
Western Kentucky University offers an alternative route to teacher certification training and the opportunity to earn a Master of Arts in Teaching Degree through their 36-hour programs. The target participants for this program will be (1) mid-career professionals from various fields who possess strong subject-matter skills and (2) recent college graduates with outstanding academic records and baccalaureate degrees in fields other than education. Though the ARTC/MAT program will be open to participants seeking certification in many content areas, those who seek certification in high-need fields such as mathematics, science, foreign language, and special education will be particularly recruited.
Admission and Application Information is available for the following programs:
- MAT in Secondary Education/Alternate Route to Teacher Certification (Ref. #0495)
- MAT in Middle Grades Education/Alternate Route to Teacher Certification (Ref. #0458)
- Alternative Route to Special Education Program (Ref. #0456) | Curriculum Contract
For more information, contact:Tonya Guyton
Student Support Specialist
School of Teacher Education
Western Kentucky University
GRH Room 1096
email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Other Important Links
Policy for Recommending Educator Certification Based on Proficiency Evaluation
Consistent with 16 KAR 5:030 on Proficiency Evaluation, Western Kentucky University (WKU) will provide an alternate means for recognizing competency and proficiency other than academic credit for those already holding a degree in a certifiable area or educators already holding initial certification.
When conducting a proficiency evaluation, WKU faculty will assess proficiency by considering:
- Previous education;
- Related/unusual experience; or
- Proficiency assessment at a level comparable to the usual requirements in the content area in which the educator is seeking certification.