Facebook Pixel PDC FAQs | Western Kentucky University Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Contact the Planning, Design and Construction (PDC) Department at 745-8708.

It is the responsibility of the WKU Department of Planning, Design, and Construction to administer and direct all renovation and building projects on the WKU main and extended campuses. These responsibilities include coordinating with other departments and the Commonwealth of Kentucky to ensure safe, efficient, and cost effective projects. PDC is a professional service of the University and, as such, employs certified project engineers and interior designers who are trained in the programming, development, and construction of facilities.

For renovations that are expected to be $ 100,000 (or less), you can initiate a project, or request for estimate, by submitting a Project Request (PR) form.  If you have questions about filling out the form, need a blank form, or have general questions, you can always call Planning, Design and Construction at 745-8708.

No, these departments are separate and perform different functions.

PDC is the Department of Planning, Design and Construction. PDC directs all design and project management activities and manages construction for all WKU campus locations. 

DFM is the Department of Facilities Management. DFM maintains campus buildings and facilities and incorporates the Building Service Attendants (BSA), Maintenance (including HVAC, plumbing, carpentry, etc.) and Campus Services (including grounds crews).

PDC and DFM are both under the direction of Bryan B. Russell, Chief Facilities Officer Division. Both departments work closely together to create and maintain an attractive and functional facility for the WKU family and visitors.

To check on the status of a Project Request (PR), the best person to call is your assigned Project Manager (PM). If you have not been assigned a PM, do not know who your PM is, or have general questions, you can call the main PDC office at 745-8708.

You will be assigned a project manager based on current work loads, areas of expertise, and prior knowledge of the project scope. So, if you speak to a project manager prior to submitting a Project Request, please note that when you fill out your PR form.

PDC does not charge any fees for managing Project Requests.

Capital projects $600,000 or greater are charged a fee based on a scale of magnitude.

To get an estimate for projects of $100,000 or less, you should always submit a PR as the first step. If you aren't sure about the dollar figure, you can still initiate the process in the same fashion.
The electronic PR form (PDF) is currently located online on both the PDC and DFM sites.  You will need to fill out the form which can then be printed and sent to PDC via campus mail or scanned and e-mailed to PDC (pdc@wku.edu).  Please note that this form requires signatures for the Requester, the Department Head, the Dean and if necessary, the President's Cabinet.  Please obtain the required signatures (e-signature) up to and including the Dean, prior to submitting the form.
To develop an estimate, your Project Manager will meet with you to develop a plan to meet your needs. Projects require varying degrees of research, site investigation, design, and estimating. With every project, PDC is obligated to file an Asbestos Management Request form with the WKU Environmental Health & Safety Office to ascertain if there are any hazardous materials that will be involved or disturbed by the project. This process alone can take up to 10 days. So once PDC receives your PR, you should expect about two weeks to receive an estimate for a basic scope without complications, and longer for complex projects.
The complexity and size of your project plays a major role in determining how long the process will take. Your Project Manager will schedule a meeting with you, gather information on your needs, develop a plan, submit the plan for review if necessary, develop and submit an estimate, await approval, encumber funds, requisition Purchase Orders and place equipment and materials orders, and schedule construction. You should discuss the specifics of your project with your Project Manager to develop a time frame. Be sure to tell your PM about deadlines and events that you need to schedule around. You should be aware that summer is a particularly busy time for Renovations. If you want your project to happen over summer, or during other academic breaks, you should contact PDC well in advance. PDC will typically announce a cutoff in mid-semester Spring for submission of PRs for consideration of summer scheduling.




The first step in starting a project is to complete and submit a Project Request.  The Project Request form is located on both the PDC and DFM web pages. Fill out the form to the best of your ability and be sure to obtain all of the required signatures (the Requester, Department Head, and Dean's signatures are required).  Then e-mail or campus mail the signed form to PDC at pdc@wku.edu

Once your completed and signed form is received in the PDC office, it is logged and reviewed and then assigned a Project Manager.  The Project Manager is chosen based on current workloads, areas of expertise and in some cases, prior knowledge of the project scope (so, if you speak to a Project Manager before submitting your PR, be sure to indicate it on your form).

Your Project Manager will set an appointment with the contact person on the PR to go over the scope of work of the project as well as to visit the job site to understand the full details of the project. At this time, the PM may invite contractors so they can get details for their estimates.

In some instances, due to the magnitude of the project, a field project must be filed with the state. In that case, a field project package must be prepared and submitted to the state inspector for review and approval prior to the project start. The assigned Project Manager will work with the state inspector to prepare and submit the proper forms. 

As always, if you have any questions or need help filling out the PR form, you can contact the PDC office at 270-745-8708.

Once you and your Project Manager have determined a scope of work, written details and drawings may be presented for signature by the responsible party in your department to indicate final approval before construction begins.

Making changes to the scope after contracts are in place or after work has begun can increase the cost of a project and delay completion. This is why we ask that all details be nailed down prior to approval to eliminate change orders.

If you are proposing a space usage change, your department will need to acquire approval from the Scheduling Application Coordinator for Astra. PDC will typically provide you with a floor plan requiring signatures of your department head or dean as well as the Astra coordinator. Examples of change in usage are changing a classroom into offices or vice versa, absorbing lobby space into offices, or creating retail space.

Once the scope of work has been determined, your Project Manager works with vendors and contractors to prepare an estimate, which is then sent electronically to the contact person on the PR.  You will be able to review the estimate, which is valid for ninety (90) days.  If you and your approvers agree with the estimated amount, you should respond directly to your Project Manager via e-mail, confirming the account number you wish to use to fund the project.  Once the approval is received, PDC sends a request to Accounting to transfer those funds to a unique Project Account.  All labor, materials and other costs arranged by the Project Manager are charged to that special project account.  If you are using a Foundation account to pay for your project, purchase orders for approved funding are processed directly through the Foundation. 

Once your project is complete and all billings have been processed, any remaining funds will be released to your original account number. If for any reason during the project your Project Manager foresees that costs will exceed 10% above the estimate, he will notify you so a decision can be made about how to proceed.

Instructions for completing the Project Request form also explain this process.

Some project scopes mandate that registered architects or engineers be hired for design services or to perform a feasibility study. If this is the case, your Project Manager will discuss specific requirements and costs with you. These professional services are an expense that will be charged to your project.


While an office, classroom, or break room, etc. may feel like 'yours', it really belongs to the university. Sometimes an occupant may want to modify a space to fit their current needs better, but it may not always be in the best interest of the university. Your Project Manager works with other departments across campus to help ensure the scope of your project will not create a maintenance problem, create a situation that has to be reversed for the next occupant, or violate life safety codes.


The university is obligated to adhere to a broad range of building codes and life safety codes. These include egress routes, occupancy loads, ADA accessibility, and much more. The PDC department works with state officials, consultants, and other departments on campus to help create and maintain a safe environment for all of WKU.

PDC coordinates with IT, EH&S, and DFM on projects, and will bill for these services as part of your project.

Your project may incur charges from a variety a sources: contracted work, campus IT, EH&S testing, Facilities Management labor, etc. PDC will consolidate billing for all these sources through your Project request and unique project index to simplify billing for your department.


The university does not keep a staff of tradesmen to perform renovation projects. While Facilities Management employs tradespeople, their function is to perform maintenance tasks. Therefore contractors will be hired to perform your project work, based on the specific needs of the project. The contractors we hire are instructed to work safely, behave courteously, and adhere to university regulations. PDC staff continuously evaluates the performance of contractors we hire. If you experience any problems relating to contractors during your renovation, please inform your Project Manager immediately so they can be addressed.

Projects under $100,000 are considered Renovations. Capital Construction can be renovation activities or new construction greater than $100,000.

PDC can help you with a wide variety of needs. This list is only a sampling of typical Renovations: space planning, furniture selection, finishes selections such as flooring and paints, window coverings, construction of walls, installation of cabinets, demolition, chalkboard replacement, A/V upgrades, lighting changes, electrical outlets and networking service additions, new office space development, classroom modifications, or any other physical modification to a university owned or operated facility.

The Project Request Form notes additional services which should be specified by the client as part of a project.

Your assigned Project Manager will work with a representative from your requesting department to discuss your needs and possible solutions. PDC has a variety of resources at our disposal and a staff with a broad range of professional experience and education from which to draw. Your PM will present you with one or more possible solutions and work with you to nail down details of your project to meet your department's needs, the university's goals, life safety codes, and budget requirements.


Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.

 Last Modified 2/11/19