Skip to main content
Skip to main content

Sponsored Students

International Student Diplomat PhotoHonors College & International CenterKingdom of Saudi Arabia National DayHCIC Main LobbyOrientation Leaders

WKU currently has 8 international student diplomats representing 8 different countries. Diplomats assist prospective and new international students. Visit the 'Meet Our Diplomats' page on our website to learn more.

Honors College & International Center

Celebrating the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia National Day

Honors College & International Center Main Lobby

Orientation Leaders for Spring 2017!

Sponsored Students

A sponsored student is defined as a student who receives a financial scholarship from a government, an international aid or non-profit organization, or a corporate sponsor.

The International Student Office at WKU is proud to serve international sponsored students and their sponsors with personalized administrative and advising services. Our office serves as a liaison between sponsors, the sponsored students, and WKU departments and offices.

Ashley Givan is the Sponsored International Student Advisor and the main point of contact for international sponsored students at WKU. Sponsored students can meet with the Sponsored International Student Advisor during available walk-in hours or by making an appointment by calling 270-745-4857.

Sponsored students can also meet with an international student advisor if they have any questions related to their SEVIS/immigration record of F-1 student regulations during walk-in hours or by making an appointment by calling 270-745-4857.



How or where can I submit my financial guarantee? 

Financial Guarantees for sponsored international students will now be submitted to International Enrollment Management. The Billings Office in Potter Hall will no longer accept them. You have three different options for submitting them:

1.  Upload the electronic copy directly through the 

Document Upload Portal


2.  Email the electronic copy to or

3.  Bring a hard copy to the International Student Office front desk on the third floor of Honors College International Center (HCIC).

When is my financial guarantee due? 

Your financial guarantee due date will be determined by your registration date as outlined below: 

For Winter 2017 and Spring 2017

Registration Date                                         

FG Due Date        


Through January 3                                 

January 18                          

$100 late payment fee                     

January 4 – 31                                               

February 17                         

$100 late payment fee/Financial Obligation Hold                 

February 1 – 28                                             

March 21                            

$100 late payment fee/Financial Obligation Hold

For Summer 2017

Registration Date                                         

FG Due Date        


Through April 30      

May 16                     

$100 late payment fee                     

May 1-May 31                                           

June 15                    

$100 late payment fee/Financial Obligation Hold                 

June 1-July 2                                     

July 18                        

$100 late payment fee/Financial Obligation Hold

What happens if I do not submit my financial guarantee on time?

Failure to comply could result in late fees, delays in processing, and registration or transcript holds placed on your account.

Please keep in mind, electronic bills (e-bills) will be sent on the first business day of each month to students with outstanding balances. If your FG is not received by the billing date, you will receive an e-bill

I have already submitted my financial guarantee. How long does it take for it to be processed? 

  • Please allow up to 3 business days for FGs to be indexed after submitting them. 
  • Please allow up to 7 business days for payment to be processed from your sponsor. Monitor your TopNet Account daily for changes. If it has been over 7 days since your sponsor sent notification of payment, please follow up with your sponsor to ensure that payment has been submitted.

What if I am taking online courses? What are the financial guarantee requirements?

If you are taking an online course during any term, you need to have both an overall FG submitted for that term as well as the Online Course Approval.

What dates need to be listed on the financial guarantee as the dates of coverage? 

Please ensure that the dates of the FG cover the entire semester or year.  If the start or end date is in the middle of the semester or there are gaps in coverage, it could cause delays in processing.  Please refer to the academic calendar if you are unsure of these dates. 

Do I need to keep a copy of my financial guarantee? 

When you receive a copy of your financial guarantee from your sponsor, please keep a copy of it as you are responsible for knowing all of the information, including dates, major, etc.




My sponsor is asking for an official transcript. How do I get one?

 Official transcripts can be requested through the Registrar. Go here for instructions. The Registrar’s office is located in Potter Hall, Room 216.

I have to submit a letter to my sponsor that proves I am enrolled in classes and in good standing. How do I get one?

For enrollment verification letters, you may make a request through your Topnet account. For instructions please go here. The Registrar’s office is located in Potter Hall, Room 216.

I want to take an online course at WKU and need to request approval from my sponsor. Where do I start?

For letters regarding online credit hours, please contact your academic advisor. Be as specific as possible in your request to him/her.  Although each department varies, please allow several days for him/her to complete your request. It is your responsibility to communicate to your advisor the information that your sponsor requires and in what format it should be in (letter or physical form).

I want to take an online course at another institution and need a SEVIS verification letter. What should I do? 

If you are a student sponsored by SACM, you are only allowed to take online courses at another institution during the summer term. You may not take online courses at another institution during the fall or spring semesters. Additionally, you will need to provide verification of approval to study at the other institution during the summer from SACM. 

Once you have the approval from SACM or if you are not a SACM student, you may submit the request for this type of letter via iStart by completing the Fall/Spring/Summer SEVIS verification letter e-form. 

I have graduated and my sponsor needs to authenticate my degree. Who should they contact?


For degree authentication or verification requests, please contact the Registrar

My sponsor is requesting that I submit a study plan with a graduation date.  Who can provide that?


Your academic advisor can assist you with this.  Again, please provide as much detail to him/her in your request and allow him/her adequate time to respond. 

I need a letter for my sponsor that is different from any of the letters described above. Where can I get it?

If you need a letter that is not described in any of the answers above, you will need to submit a detailed request in writing via email to You must include your name and WKU ID as well as a very detailed explanation of what needs to be in the letter. This will allow us to evaluate whether our office can handle your request or if we need to forward to another department. 

How long do I have to wait to get my letter?

Writing personalized letters requires care and time to ensure that all information is accurate. Normal processing time in the International Student Office is 1 to 3 business days after the request is submitted; other departments will have their own timelines. Please plan accordingly when requesting your letters. 




Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
download excel.

Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
download word.

Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
download powerpoint.

Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,
download quicktime.

 Last Modified 3/30/17