Arabic for International Service
This concentration is designed for students interested in careers in government service or work with non-governmental organizations in the Arab world or working with Arab populations. This concentration complements a major in International Affairs orPolitical Science well. Course work focuses on the requisite Arabic language proficiency, terminology associated with governments, diplomacy, agreements, negotiations, crises and international organizations. Students also take courses in English in the study of International Affairs to provide requisite background knowledge.
Required core courses: (33 hours)
- ARBC 102 (3 hours) Elementary Arabic II
- ARBC 201, ARBC 202 (6 hours) Intermediate Arabic I & II
- ARBC 301, ARBC 302 (6 hours) Advanced Arabic I & II
- ARBC 321 (3 hours) Colloquial Arabic
- ARBC 357 (3 hours) Arabic for International Service
- ARBC 437 (3 hours) Advanced Media Arabic
- PS 365 (3 hours) Politics of the Middle East
- PS 250 (3 hours) International Politics
- RELS 306 (3 hours) Islam or HIST 462 (3 hours) History of the Middle East
Elective Courses: (6 hours) Any 300- or 400- level ARBC courses for a total (including the core courses) of 39 or more credit hours.
Although not required, students in this concentration are highly encouraged to participate in WKU's Model Arab League team. This activity offers the opportunity to participate in national conferences on issues in the Arab world and meet students, teachers and diplomats working in the field.