Facebook Pixel The Graduate School - Admission Policies | Western Kentucky University Skip to main content

The Graduate School - Admission Policies

Applicants From Non-Regionally Accredited Institutions

Graduates of non-regionally accredited, four-year educational institutions may be considered for admission to the Graduate School in a degree program with an adequate preparation in the field of specialization.  Programs may request additional information from an applicant from a non-regionally accredited institution during the application review process.  Any exceptions are granted by the Graduate School.

Appeal of Admission Denial

Admission is denied when a student fails to meet the minimum Graduate School admission requirements, or as a result of the academic program review.  If a student believes there are extenuating circumstances that should be considered, she or he may appeal the admission decision. Students wishing to appeal a denial should contact the program coordinator for the academic program desired.

Appeal requests for admission requirements for the specialist degree program should follow the procedure outlined for the master's program.

Senior Citizens

A senior citizen (65 years or older) who holds a bachelor's degree may be admitted to the Graduate School as a Special Student. Upon completion of 12 hours of course work in a degree program with a minimum grade point average of 3.0, the student may be admitted to that degree program.  Additionally, Kentucky residents aged 65 or over may be eligible for tuition remission of six hours per semester.  Please contact the Bursar's office for more information.

Undergraduate Student Enrollment in Graduate Courses

Undergraduate students at Western Kentucky University may request to enroll in graduate courses (maximum of 12 hours) by obtaining approvals and submitting an "Undergraduate Taking Graduate Courses" form to the Graduate School.  Conditions for approval include:

  • having declared a major or minor in the subject area or a closely related area for which the graduate course is offered; and
  • having earned a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 in his/her major.

Students are restricted to a maximum of 15 hours enrollment per term. All graduate coursework will be on the graduate transcript. To move the coursework to the undergraduate transcript students should contact the Registrar’s office.


Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.

 Last Modified 4/16/19