- Required Housing Policy
- Cancellation Policy
- "Hilltopics" Residence Hall Handbook
- Terms & Conditions
- Termination Fee
Apply for Housing
WKU Housing & Residence Life
Western Kentucky University Housing is "more than just a place to live" during your WKU experience!
The Department of Housing and Residence Life currently provides 15 recently renovated residence halls with a wide range of options for a premier living/learning experience that ensures student success.
Priority Deadline for Housing Applications is March 31
You do not need to wait to be admitted to WKU or attend an ATP to apply for housing. Since room assignments are made based on the date we receive your application, the sooner you apply, the better your chances of getting the preferences you requested. With the continual growth of our incoming freshmen class, the need to apply early is more important than it has ever been before.
Required Housing Policy
Freshmen and sophomores (less than 60 hours) are required to live on campus, space permitting.
Exemptions include students who are:
- Veterans of military service (181 days or more)
- Have dependent children
- 21 years of age or older
- Members of fraternities or sororities living in chapter houses (sophomores only), or
- Commuting from their parent's permanent address.
Requests for exemption based upon special circumstances (defined as unique and unusual) will also be considered. Exemption Request Forms are available for download or available at the Department of Housing and Residence Life. A fee of $1000 per semester is assessed to students who are in non-compliance with this policy.
Download Exemption Forms
To apply for housing at WKU, you must complete a Housing Agreement.
Upon execution of this agreement by both parties and payment of the deposit, this contract becomes effective and constitutes a binding agreement for the full academic year (Fall and Spring Semester), or the remaining portion thereof.
How to Apply for Housing
You may choose to apply for housing by (A.) a paper application -or- (B.) an online application.
(A) Paper Application
- Pick up a Housing Agreement from the HRL office (18 Southwest Hall) or download and print a copy.
- Review, complete and sign the Housing Agreement.
- Prepare a check or money order for the $150 Housing deposit. Make all checks payable to WKU.
- Turn in your Housing Agreement to the HRL office or mail your Agreement to:
(B) Online Application
* When applying online, have all of your information at hand so your session will not time out before you are finished.
- Login to your Topnet Account
- Click "Continue Login" at the bottom of the page.
- Click "New Student Housing Application and Deposit."
- Select the term for which you will need housing and click "Submit."
- Read the Terms and Conditions and click "I Agree."
- Complete the Registration Form and click "Add."
- Click "Make a Credit Card Payment" to pay your $150 deposit.
- Fill out the Credit Card Payment form and click "Submit Payment."
Roommate Matching Service
WKU has a roommate matching service through the Roomsync Facebook App. Once you join the app you'll be able to create a profile outlining your interests and preferences. Roomsync will recommend possible roommates and you will be able to view their profile and make contact with them. Roomsync will give you the option to finalize someone as your roommate and it will notify our office of the selection.
You will receive an email invitation to Roomsync 1-2 weeks after you are admitted to the University. If you believe you did not receive an email in error, please send an email to email@example.com to request an invitation.
The Roomsync app is only available until March 31st and only incoming first year students have access to Roomsync.
*The Roomsync app is best viewed in Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. Internet Explorer has been reported as not working correctly with the Roomsync app.
Canceling Your Housing Application
If you decide not to attend Western Kentucky University after you have submitted your Housing Application, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to cancel your housing application. Include your name and WKU Identification Number (800 number) with your request to cancel.
Sign up for M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan
The "Making Academic and Social Transitions Educationally Rewarding Plan" is a five-day transition program designed for the first-year residential student at Western Kentucky University. This exciting program provides a head start to your college career by assisting you in becoming acclimated to WKU and helping you to become connected to the campus community, faculty, staff, and other first-year students.
M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan includes informational sessions and interactive educational workshops that help you to enhance your skills for learning both inside and outside the classroom. Daily special events are designed to introduce you to the University's history and traditions to help you catch the WKU Spirit!
Campus interest sessions are designed to meet your specific needs and interests about different academic departments, student organizations, and campus services. Participation in M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan will help you meet other first-year students, building friendships, and provides you with the tools for building a foundation to be successful at WKU.