The Campus Advising Network
The Campus Advising Network (CAN) was formed during the 2006-2007 academic year in response to the academic advising community's request for continuing professional development at WKU. Each semester four to five academic advising "hot topic" sessions are offered in response to the needs of faculty and staff advisors at WKU. For a list of sessions since the creation of CAN, please see below.
The Campus Advising Network has a list-serve allowing for communication of advisors throughout campus. With over 170 members, the list-serve is a great way to have questions answered and share information with colleagues. To be added to this list-serve please contact Keith Clark or call 270-745-5065.
- Feb 22th - "De-Escalation with students" — Tim Gray (UPD) — Verbal de-escalation, how to read
body language, how to handle difficult situations; services offered by the CTC for
students in distress. (DSU2123 this session only)
- March 1st - "Student-Athletes" — Jashard Justice (Student Athlete Success Center) — Student-Athletes:
what their office does, NCAA regulations, what those students face, how can advisors
work with SASC.
- March 22nd - "Colonnade Courses & Majors" — Cierra Waller (Coordinator, Student Services - Potter
College of Arts & Letters) — Explanation of Colonnade Courses and which majors they
work for best.
- April 12th - "Cross-Cultural Communication" — with Dr. Kumi Ishii (Associate Professor - Communication).
- May 3rd - "Academic Advisor Recognition" — TBD
All CAN sessions are held in DSU2124 at 3PM.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,