Performance Development Conversations
WKU is in a transition period as we progress on a new Performance Development Program. However, it remains important for employees and supervisors to engage in conversations concerning successes and opportunities relative to job performance. Conversations should also focus on goals and action plans for the upcoming fiscal year, each being aligned with the respective unit/division's strategic plan and/or the WKU Strategic Plan.
Supervisors should schedule a time to have one-on-one conversations with their employees. Objectives and a checklist for these meetings can be found below. Resources are also available at the bottom of this page, including a worksheet for creating SMART Goals. Please use the worksheet and resources to facilitate your conversations.
The Objectives for your conversations should be to:
- Collaborate to ensure understanding of job responsibilities, unit/department/divisional goals and how their work contributes to overall university success.
- Reflect on previous Fiscal Year achievements and opportunities of growth.
- Determine areas of focus for the upcoming Fiscal Year.
Checklist for Conversations:
- Share departmental goals with team members, and how your department contributes to the university strategic plan.
- Meet one-on-one with each direct report to:
- determine their role in unit/departmental/divisional goals.
- discuss year ahead goals.
- reflect on achievements and opportunities for growth and development.
- Assist each direct report with creating 2-4 SMART goals for the upcoming Fiscal Year.
- Check in with direct reports periodically to assess progress and adjust as needed.
Supervisors and department/unit leaders will be accountable to their respective vice president or college dean for compliance with these requirements. The referenced documentation should be retained within department/unit records.
Worksheet & Resources
|Performance Development Reflection & Goal Setting Form|
|What is a SMART Goal?|
|SMART Goal Worksheets|
|Conversation Prompts for Supervisors|
Sample Completed Goal Setting and Reflection Worksheets